What would you recommend for me?
I would suggest lower eyelid surgery (a blepharoplasty) to tighten the loose skin under your eyes, and Botox for your laughter lines. Your smile is nice and natural, but you’d look younger with fewer, shorter smile lines.
Done under local anaesthetic and sedation, lower eyelid surgery involves making an incision two millimetres below the lash line, and then lifting the muscle and any fat to tighten the area. The stitches come out after five days, and you’ll have two black eyes for up to a fortnight. This operation is often done as part of a facelift; done alone, it costs around $5,000.
As Dr Khoo gently moves my under-eye skin outwards to show the tightening effect a blepharoplasty would achieve, I think I know what I’d like for Christmas: $5,000 and two weeks in a secluded villa somewhere. Perhaps not this Christmas, but maybe I should have a chat to the ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.
Level 1 – Good Skincare
This includes effective sun protection – UV-protection is most important, especially for Caucasian skin in the tropics – cleansing, anti-oxidants, not smoking and consuming only moderate amounts of alcohol are also important.
Level 2 – Non- or Minimally Invasive Therapies
These skin-tightening and collagen-boosting treatments are for people who are not yet ready for the complexities of a facelift, or whose skin condition does not yet warrant one. They include:
• Laser treatment in the form of Matrix IR (Infrared) or Matrix RF (Radiofrequency), both fractional therapies that can treat the deepest layers of the skin in a completely non-invasive way.
Level 3 – Minimally Invasive Procedures
• The suture-lift is the most common of these. Of the many brands out there, Dr Khoo prefers the Silhouette lift. To tighten the mid-face, for example, six one-centimetre cuts are made on either side of the scalp, hidden in the hairline – under anaesthetic, of course. With the help of a large needle, a suture, or thread, is tunnelled through the flesh in an inverted arc from one side of the face to the other. Tiny cones on the wire fix it in place and allow it to move in one direction only; once threaded through, the thread is gently pulled up on either side.
Level Four – Full Facelift Surgery
The many variations of rhytidectomy all have the same idea: to tighten and lift what has been affected by gravity. In a full facelift of the upper and lower face, under general anaesthesia or sedation, excess fat is removed, underlying muscles are tightened, the skin of the face and neck is redraped, and fat pads are repositioned to achieve a more youthful look. Browliftlower facelift surgery lightens the deep grooves around the mouth and tightens the cheek and neck. Downtime is up to two weeks. surgery corrects drooping brows; lower facelift surgery lightens the deep grooves around the mouth and tightens the cheek and neck. Downtime is up to two weeks.
- EVENTS CALENDAR
- Upcoming events, parties, promotions and sales
- READ THE MAGAZINE NOW
- Get Expat Living on your PC, tablet or smartphone
- Baby announcements, items for sale and community news
- JOB LISTINGS
- Local jobs now hiring
- A comprehensive guide to Singapore companies, services and facilities
- Click here for your chance to win great prizes
- A quirky take on expat life